Daily Painting #5, chrysanthemum

Daily Painting #5, Chrysanthemum, 6"x6", Acrylic on board, Auction starting at $75 here


I saw this gem last week on a very gray and rainy run while passing the Acton Arboretum.  I returned later that morning to take a photo for reference.  It was a truly spectacular flower.  The painting ended up being more realistic than I typically paint, but I think in a way it was necessary for me to study this in full detail before I ever tried to abstract it at all. 

While looking up the correct spelling for "chrysanthemum" I found this write up.  I thought the part about meditation was very interesting because as I was painting this I found myself in a kind of meditative state trying to make order out of this very intricate flower!  I also like the parts about being a symbol for the sun and the part about a long and happy life.

 "A symbol of the sun, the Japanese consider the orderly unfolding of the chrysanthemum’s petals to represent perfection, and Confucius once suggested they be used as an object of meditation. It’s said that a single petal of this celebrated flower placed at the bottom of a wine glass will encourage a long and healthy life."

Would you like to bid on this?  Click here for link to auction on website www.dailypaintworks.com

Comments

Popular Posts