The pondering...



Pondering of the day: So often, in my painting I paint something that appeals to me...for one of many reasons....the color combination, the energy of a brush stroke, the movement of the scene, the mood, etc. Yesterday I started a large diptych. I have been working on a lot of water/sky scenes with the dominant colors being blues and cool colors. Well, I was craving red so I decided in order to satisfy my need for painting in hot colors I would opt to paint an under painting for one of these water/sky paintings in red. As luck would have it, I really like the under painting....in particular the detail where the energy between the two colors is buzzing. Now I am stuck in that place of liking something and not wanting to obliterate it in the process of moving the painting forward. The combination of slate/turquoise blue and the hot red just appeals to my senses. I am wondering...do other artists have this constant struggle with moving forward with work? I guess it is better to have something on a canvas that appeals to me versus the days where I leave my studio unhappy with the work of the day. I guess this is where I should let what I like about this work rest awhile and see where it takes me next week...stay tuned. The part that I like is in the close up detail...

Comments

jrberkley said…
I can see why you like it! I often have a similar problem in the earlier stages of a piece -- I like the simplicity. But then, it's usually not really done, and I can tell that, too. On the other hand, have you thought of taking the lovely detail you show and using the image in some other way, like digitally? You could preserve your underpainting and paint over it too, so to speak...

Popular Posts