Reverence II

This 12" x 12" oil painting, "Reverence II", was created to honor the incredible power of the ocean.  When I finish the first painting in this series a couple of years ago, I was particularly disheartened by news of yet another oil spill in the ocean. I was sad and mad.  The ocean is a sacred place for me ...one which should be loved and respected ... always.

One of my favorite sayings is a Swedish proverb. "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears or the sea".  For the most part, I find this statement to be true.  2013 has been a year of sweat, tears and the sea for sure!  The New Year started with a dip in the cold ocean on Cape Cod and lots of tears as I processed an emotional end to 2012 (losing my father-in-law to cancer, the horrible tragedy in Newtown, CT and completing my cancer treatment(those were tears of relief as I processed the weight of having had cancer). The sweat came as I worked to get my physical strength back.  Luckily, I got to the ocean a lot in 2013 (Cape Cod, Gloucester, Key Biscayne and Northern California where - thanks to some special friends - I got to see the Pacific Ocean for the very first time).  I have been busy working on putting these waves to canvas, board and paper and look forward to doing more and larger ones in 2014! 

Yesterday, the same day that I was to deliver "Reverence II" to a client who was purchasing it, I found out that a friend, Erica, had passed away.  A mutual friend connected Erica and me when we were both diagnosed with cancer at the same time.  Erica and I had the immediate connection of our cancer, but, more importantly, she was an "ocean girl" like me - Hawaii for her and Cape Cod for me.  So, I am ending the year with tears learning of her passing.  So, Erica, this ones for you....peace, love and aloha.  xoxo

Comments

elizabeth said…
how incredible beautiful and heart wrenching at the same time. this painting is such a magnificent tribute to you, Erica and your bond with the ocean

coco
willpollock said…
what a lovely view we're treated to here... and thanks for pointing me to it! SO resonant in many ways, and I love how you allowed that scene to change you.

Popular Posts