Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Birch Trees Diptych (commission)

painting of birch trees
"Swinger of Birches"
This is one of the two large commissions I worked on this fall.  Each panel is 36"x60". I began work on this when the collector and I started conversation about this painting last March. It was someone who has bought my work in the past and had moved to a large house.  She loved birch trees and had a very large wall in her foyer next to her staircase.  I met with her in her home and we came up with a plan including the size of the panels.  I was really excited as I have been wanting to paint birches for awhile now.  It's hard not to notice them when you live in New England, especially when they stand out in the winter against the gray backdrop of the other trees.  Luckily, when I was at the collector's home we were admiring her view of birches from her living room and it was late day and the light was pink glow. Spring was just around the corner so their were peeks of greens and as well as red budding trees.  I went back to my studio and immediately did some studies while the image was fresh in my head (I hate relying just on a photo as it can lose so much information).

This is the study:

Study for birch tree painting



This painting went through several edits over the course of the fall including after I took it to the client's home for a midway check of colors in the unique light of her home.

If you want to see some cool time lapse videos I did at the beginning of this painting. Check out my Instagram page here for the videos #whitsartflix that I have been doing of paintings in progress.  


This is me trying to set up my camera for my time lapse video...
****Next up on my blogging "to do" list: a recap of my other fall commission (a large seascape triptych) for an interior designer in CT and my "year in review" post. 



No comments: